Friday, August 29, 2008

Sarah Palin

Palin is a politically asute pick for McCain, in the sense of hitting a bullseye right at the Hillary supporters who Obama dissed. Beyond that, the Palin nod just sucked all of the the wind out of the just-completed Dem convention.

But inexperienced state politicians are very risky -- from hidden skeletons to unvetted answers on matters of national policy.

The thing is, when you consider Palin in the abstract, it's possible to come up with objections to naming her as McCain's veep. But when you think about the obvious alternatives -- from Romeny (and almost sure loser) to other inexperienced (male) governors, I actually think it's a pretty easy case to make that Palin was about the best choice that McCain could have made. To be sure, that says some sad things for the relative lack of talent right now in the national GOP. I do think, however, that four to eight years will make a difference. And the Dems are hardly better. Biden? Gimme a break!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Larson said...

Care to share any thoughts from the previous two nights of the convention?

September 05, 2008 2:07 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hey, Wayne.

Sorry for the sporadic blogging.

I thought Palin gave a good speech. The thing is, though, I've never have so many people volunteer a such an enthusiastic opinion of any politicl figure, or of any particular speech.

I've had people who do not talk about politics introduce the topic with me several times in the last few days. I find it remarkable. Clearly Palin struck a chord.

McCain's speech wasn't the one that I would have written for him. Too much of a laundry list. (I liked the laundry list, and I guess Clinton always did the same thing. But those types of speeches always fore me.)

September 08, 2008 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home