Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bowlful

My son, a second grader, has "bowlful" as one of his spelling words for this week.

That didn't seem right to me, and neither of our unabridged dictionaries included the word (although both dictionaries are pretty old, the newest being at least 35 years old).

So I did a web search, and, sure enough, the word popped up, as in, "I ate a bowlful of cereal."

One of the synonyms listed for "bowlful" is the word "containerful." Seriously.

"Bowlful" still seems weird, but once you learn the trick, anyone can do it. As in, "I have a mugful of coffee." "I have an officeful of books and a deskful of papers." "That sure is a planeful of people." Or, "This morning I filled up the car, and now I have a tankful of gas." Or even, "I have a blogful of posts," and "I have a wallful of pictures."

2 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Larson said...

How awful and dreadful.

November 29, 2007 8:14 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

You've said a mouthful.

November 29, 2007 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home