Monday, April 02, 2007

Jn 12.26 - "Where I am, there shall my servant also be"

In saying this in Jn 12.26, I "think" Jesus is mainly talking about the cross (Jn 12.32-33). So I'd take this as John's version of the synoptics' "take up your cross and follow me."

More broadly, we find Jesus in Word and sacrament (which is not distinct from finding him on the cross).

But in Mt 25, Jesus also tells us where he is -- he's in the hungry, the thirsty, he's in the stranger and the naked, he's in the sick and the prisoner. Because Jesus is there, "there also shall his servants be."

As I've mentioned before, this also sort of inverts the idea of who's serving whom in Mt 25. If we meet Jesus in the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger and naked, in the sick and in the prisoner, then isn't it us, the "servant" who is in fact receiving from Christ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home