Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Apocalypto (spoiler)

I went to Apocalypto on Monday night, while Meg and the kids were at BSF. It was less gory than I expected (qualitatively on the level of, say, the Civil-War movie, Glory). But the story was also less than I expected. I thought it a bit thematically cheap to focus on the one guy with the "happy ending." And I thought the whole series of "incredible escapes" a bit cheap as well -- O.K. in a James-Bond movie, but out of place in a story of tragedy of this magnitude.

It's not a waste of money to see the film, but in my opinion it's not a "must-see" movie.

2 Comments:

Blogger CPA said...

BTW, what did you think of "Glory"? I was thinking of renting it, but it's R-rated and I'm always a bit cautious about that unless I know a fellow Christian has seen it.

January 11, 2007 12:18 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I think "Glory" is a very good movie. The "R" is for what at the time was relatively realistic depictions of battle.

I wouldn't show it to children however, until later in the teen age years.

January 11, 2007 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home